“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that’s waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
As the sun sets on this year and we start off yet another New Year full of hope, full of love, trusting with all our hearts that whatever was good in the previous one will repeat itself and whatever was bad will never come back, I look at the things I would love to have in the New Year, the ones that go beyond the resolutions or declarations, but the ones that would contribute to me having a better life for all the years to come.
A lot of good things have happened this year, 20,000 people from over 120 countries around the world read my blog – next stop 1 million. It was a slow year for traveling, something that definitely needs to change this year as traveling is one of my favorite things in this world. One of the people I love most in the world passed away after living a beautiful and loving life, leaving a wonderful legacy and a lot of loving people behind. And I definitely went from moments when I was flying on cloud 9 to crawling on the ground and learned so much from each of them.
So this year instead of those resolutions that we can easily waiver from as we move into the New Year, here are a few things I would suggest to all of us:
- Tear down the walls that separate me and keep everyone out and instead set more healthy boundaries that will allow me to keep my integrity, while at the same time embracing everything that life has to offer.
- Embrace the good, minimize the bad. Sometimes we tend to do the exact opposite. We augment the bad and minimize the good, we become ungrateful and unloving that we completely disregard how much good there is in our lives.
- Ease up on the judging. We all judge, we all have our own prejudices, but maybe we can learn a little at a time to let go of those judgments and embrace life as it is as well as embrace people as they are.
- Embrace the angry ones. It might not seem like it, but the angry people need the most love because they have lost the ability to feel it in themselves. So if you see someone who’s angry, be kind to them.
- Always be prepared. Be like a boy scout or a navy seal if that sounds better to you. Be ready and know that no matter what happens in your life, you will be ready for it, you will learn from it, and overcome it if needed.
- Let go of the past. There’s nothing about the past that you can change, so learn whatever lesson it was trying to teach you and then move on. Bringing up the past every day only destroys the present and the future.
- Play the tape. Sometimes we make rash decisions because we don’t realize how the chain of events gets set in motion. So play the tape: if I do this, then what will happen, and then what…and so on, until you get to what the whole foreseeable chain of events will be. Is it worth it? Then go for it.
- Allow things to fall into place. Sometimes we have the tendency to force things into place, to push them our way, which might not always be the right way. Yet when we take a step back and allow them to fall into place, they will always fall into the right place.
- Begin again. And again. And again. Begin, as many times as it takes for you to achieve the goals you want to achieve.
- Make decisions from a place of power. Many times we tend to make decisions from a place of fear, based on judgments and previous bad experiences. Try to make empowered decisions – those decisions where you keep your feet grounded in reality, while at the same time reach for the stars.
Life is full of unexpected moments that change our lives every day. As much as we wish we could, we can never predict the future, nor can we rest believing that the people we love will be with us forever. Cherish the love you have today as you never know what tomorrow will bring, spend time reminding everyone how much you love them, trust yourself and allow yourself to trust others, and believe with all your heart that something amazing is happening every day. After all, at any given moment there’s someone in your life who loves you unconditionally.
Happy New Year! 2015 will be the best year so far!