I have a morning ritual every day (just like most people do). Except mine doesn’t include coffee or reading my email, or scrolling through Facebook or whatever else other people do to “feel like themselves”. Mine is about setting me up for a successful and limited stress day. The thing is every time I share it with someone, I get a lot of responses like: “I don’t have time for that” or “No coffee? I can’t even function before I drink coffee” or “That would never work for me.”
So it got me thinking about a morning ritual that would work for everyone, that wouldn’t take up too much time and would actually kickstart everyone’s morning in a positive way.
1. Drink a glass of water (preferably at room temperature). Before you reach for coffee or anything else, make sure your body gets a bit of hydration back since most of us do get dehydrated at night.
2. Do one sequence of Sun Salutations. If you’re not sure how to do it, there are plenty of videos online and below you can find a cheat sheet you can keep around if needed. It takes about 2 minutes and it will stretch and refresh your body and mind.
3. Set an intention for the day. Once you’re done with the Sun Salutation, it’s the perfect time to set an intention for the day since your mind is awake and clear.
4. Write down the intention. Pick up a pen and a piece of paper and write it down. That way it gets embedded in your consciousness.
5. Meditate. If you feel you have no time for this, do it while you shower. There are a variety of guided meditation practices available online that only last about 5 minutes. You can start with this 5 Minute Breathing Meditation and work your way from there.
The entire process only takes about 10 minutes, but it will make a tremendous difference in your life and how you take on every day. So go ahead, give it a shot and see what happens.