It’s the fall equinox today, which means day and night are of approximately equal duration all over the planet. The world literally means “equal night” in Latin, a language that has been used to name a lot of natural events discovered in ancient times.
While there are a multitude of rituals in various cultures and different traditions have their own beliefs about what should be done today to insure a successful and fruitful year, here are a few rituals that are perfect for the Fall Equinox.
It’s the first day of Fall. Fall is my favorite season of the year, the temperature is just perfect, just a little crisp, but not too cold, yet there’s that breeze in the air, that smell of rusty leaves and rain. It’s the perfect time to not only reap the benefits of summer, but also set your goals for the rest of the year. So sit down, take a notebook and write down what you want to accomplish for the next 3 months.
- A day of gratitude. While you should be practicing gratitude every day, today is the perfect day to focus on everything you are grateful for. Be grateful for the big things, the little things and everything in-between.
- Let yourself dream. What are some of the things you’ve been afraid to dream about? Those things that maybe seemed a bit too out of your reach, too overwhelming? Allow yourself to dream about them, to see your life the way it would be if you actually accomplished those dreams.
- Light up an orange or red candle. Red and orange are the colors of fall so bring them into your home along with the beauty of fire by lighting up a candle.
- Burn sage or incense. In order to clear out the energies in your home, burn out sage or incense.
- Release what no longer serves you. We all have things we’re holding on to even if we know they don’t serve us anymore or even more they tend to hinder us. Check out Deepak Chopra’s strategy of how to release the past.
- Sweat it out. You already know my favorite way to release tension is a good workout. So get out there and sweat it out. If you don’t know where to start, check out these Nike Training Club workouts and pick your favorite.
Now go outside, enjoy the day before the night becomes longer and longer and the sunset comes late afternoon instead of evening :).